Friday, November 9, 2018

Self-Censorship


Self-Censorship. 

To censor means to suppress things that are found to be unacceptable. It seems that there is a big collective censor we call society who deems what is right and what is wrong. 

I'm not so much talking about moral issues as much as I'm talking about norms like fashion, and roles, and expectations. 

I remember in my forties thinking that when I turned fifty I would cut my hair short, as it seemed most women of this age seemed to do so. Ironically, I'm a couple years into my sixties, and my hair is longer than it was then. 

Who was it that decided long hair was not appropriate at a certain age? I think sometimes it's easy to want to censor ourselves when it comes to what we think we are supposed to do. We may really want to do something unconventional, but we hold ourselves back in an effort not to be embarrassed. 

The uncomfortableness of embarrassment helps keep us in check. I remember once asking an embarrassing question in eighth grade at Sunday School when it came to a certain procedure performed on Jewish baby boys. I'm not really sure who was more embarrassed, me or my teacher. 

After moments like this your self-censoring kicks in to make sure you don't suffer any unnecessary humiliation. Although, self-preservation should be high on the list, when it begins to change and shape you into someone you are not, it has gone too far. 

How many times have you heard someone say in a self-deprecating manner, "I could never do that?" How many times have you sat back tapping your toes when you really wished you were up on the dance floor?

Self-censoring can become a habit that in the long run doesn't allow you to grow as a person. Having to stop and determine if you fit in, or are doing things in an acceptable fashion really isn't the best use of your time. A good dose of common sense can come in handy when contemplating streaking across the fifty yard line, but beyond that most things aren't that critical to stop you from being your true self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment