Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Book Club


Book Club.

I was finally able to make my way back to book club this past month. The book for the month of October was  Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate, and it was quite good. It was based on the true story of the Tennessee Children's Home Society in Memphis, and the atrocities which spanned over half a century there. The novel was the fictional tale of a young girl and her siblings who were ripped from their parents' arms, and offered to other familes for adoption. 

As we considered books for next year, I recommended a book that I had just finished reading, and volunteered to lead the group discussion in January. The book is The Atomic City Girls, by Janet Beard, and is also based on a true story as well. 

I'm definitely drawn to historical fiction, and find that it gives a window into a time gone past, but in an entertaining way. Atomic City was actually where implementation was done for the A bomb. It popped up over night during World War II, and kept secret its true mission a secret from most involved. 

I'm looking forward to leading the discussion, and have already discovered some good materials online. I'm glad I made the decision to attend the meeting the first time, and am looking forward to being more involved with this group. 

Along with this month's book club meeting the North Richland Hill's Library is hosting a Behind the Book author visit again. They do this a few times a year, and although I'm not familiar with the author of The Library, Susan Orlean, I always find author talks to be both informative, and inspirational. 


Appreciating the hard work, and research involved in the writing of most books is quite interesting, and I'm always up to adding a little more " interest" to my life. 

(Update: I was able to find Susan Orlean's book, The Library, at my local library, and have begun reading it. It's been very interesting, and I hope to have it finished before her visit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment