Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Choices- Day 4

 


“We can choose to be our best selves and to become all we are capable of becoming.”
Alexandra Stoddard

Aristotle believed in what he called the “Golden Mean.” This was the balance between too much and too little.

When you think about it you can see how living life in the extremes might not be the best choice. When all we can think about is getting more of something it can cause life to become off kilter. Having more of something doesn’t automatically guarantee happiness. 

Of course, on the other hand, denying yourself too much can also be counterproductive. There is an old saying, “All things in moderation,” that seems to ring true time and time again. 

Sadly, I make the choice to engage in “all or nothing” thinking which results in me easily being discouraged since I can’t live up to the impossible standard I set. 

Interestingly when I first began to write this I didn’t really entertain the idea that this style of thinking was a choice. I think in my mind I just thought it was how I was wired, and something I must endure. 

The truth is I choose to live with too much sugar, or too little dessert. Finding that “Golden Mean” is my choice to make. 

I often remind myself that “Life is too short,” and certainly not a “dress rehearsal.” We have the choice to determine how and how much we want to live the days we have left on this earth.
.
 Choose wisely, my friend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment