Friday, December 29, 2023

2023 Revisited

 



2023 brought many fun opportunities, and a few sad moments too. 


The year began with a new car, that technically was purchased a few days before in December. After ten years and almost 200,000 miles we traded in the Rav 4 for a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We have thoroughly enjoyed the new SUV with its quieter, smoother ride. Even the green color has grown on us as we now think it’s quite fetching. One new thing that began this year was a weekly car wash to keep the new car clean. 


After a visit to Intermission Bookstore in Brownwood I was inspired to start a new blog dedicated to all things books, and to visit as many independent bookstores as possible in the local area. I visited seven in all in Texas, and one in Ruidiso, New Mexico. 


Sadly in February, our beloved dog Honey was killed on Hwy 6. We had only had her for a few months, and had never lost a dog before over such a short period of time. She had become such a part of our family, and coupled with the loss of dear Ranger, our kitten, a few months earlier we were quite sad. In honor of Honey, I got a James Avery paw charm in the shape of a heart as a remembrance to her. 


In March my dear friend Kathy who I had known since high school passed away after a long illness. I felt blessed to have spent time with her in the prior months, along with my Yee Haw high school friends. 


Throughout the year Chuck and I made several day trips to surrounding communities. Over the months we visited Hico, Thurber, Graham, Possum Kingdom Lake, Clifton, Hamilton, Goldthwaite, and Marble Falls. 


Some of our favorite sites were the Ghost Town museum in Thurber, the Valley Mills Winery, and lunch at Possum Kingdom Lake  at the Hemingway Craft House. 


In the spring Chuck planted a garden, and by summer we were overrun by squash and cucumbers. Our tomatoes never really flourished, and I spent my time trying to figure out what to do with our plethora of produce. I also learned how to can jelly from a friend at church. 


During the hot summer months we ended up losing four chickens in total- three in one day. Our mean rooster Romeo succumbed to the 110 degree days, and his reign of terror ended. Chuck literally had to tend to the chickens with a broom in hand for his own protection. Although Romeo was a beautiful bird, I don’t think we’ll ever want a rooster again. Somehow the two girls that we have left have kept us in eggs throughout the fall. 


I watched the boys two days a week until August when school started again. Hayes started kindergarten along with Casen starting second grade. Levi’s babysitter wasn’t ideal so I agreed to watch him three days a week. He’s been a lot of fun, and I enjoy our time together. He’s growing up so fast, and is basically two going on to twenty-two. He definitely keeps us laughing. 


Summer was quite brutal with 108 degree days, and us locked in the house with the blinds shut. Chuck and I dreamed about spending summers in Colorado. 


In September we had a much needed vacation to Ruidoso, New Mexico. Brittany helped us find the perfect vacation rental, and we enjoyed the cooler weather, and the beautiful scenery. It was just what we needed to refresh our spirits after such a long, hot summer. 


Throughout the year I attended my Tuesday night Bible Study, and my retired teachers’ meeting here in De Leon. I ended up giving up my once a month Wednesday lunch in the fall when I added an extra day to my babysitting schedule. 


I visited with my Yee Haw friends as often as possible, and ended the year meeting Kim in Granbury for lunch. I faithfully worked out at the gym two days a week, and got a good report on my bone density test. Apparently, my osteoporosis had gone back to osteopenia as my body began producing bone again. I had a mammogram, and a colonoscopy which all turned out well. 


I didn’t quite read as many books as I would have liked, but I did continue to write my two blogs throughout the year. I did my 31 Day Writing Challenge in October on curiosity.


For my birthday in July, I asked for my own small desk, and set up an area for me to work in the guest room. I dabbled a little with junk journaling, and spent time writing.


Each evening as Chuck and I watched several tv series on Netflix I would spend time doing my favorite thing-coloring. I was able to pick up coloring books for a great price at Ollie’s in Stephenville.  


We celebrated birthdays, Easter, Mother’s and Father’s Day, along with Thanksgiving and Christmas at our house. The boys spent the night several times included a Star Wars movie night with light sabers. 


Once again we were all able to spend Christmas Eve with my family at my sister Carol’s beautiful home. It’s a tradition I definitely want to keep. 


I must say it was a pretty good year overall, and I feel quite blessed to be so close to my family. I’m looking forward to 2024 as I’m drawn more to even numbered years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment