Saturday, December 2, 2023

Choices-Day 1

 


“The good life has no boundaries, only opportunities.”
Alexander Stoddard

I think it’s sometimes easier to focus on what we can’t do than what we can. There is some comfort in not having to try. Trying requires hard work, sacrifice, and self-discipline. All three can cause discomfort, something we often try to avoid. 

Rather than use not being able to do something as an excuse, we should choose to see it as an opportunity. Even if that opportunity is limited to some degree, choosing to give it a go will lead to personal growth. The Greek philosopher Aristotle reminds us that some choices are good and others are wrong. 

The important thing is to strive to make the right choice most of the time, even when it's hard to follow through. 

If I want to maintain my weight, then I need to be mindful of the food choices I make. Recently, I realized I was feeling hungry too soon after eating a meal. After a little research, I learned that people over sixty require more protein throughout the day than we did in our younger years.

As I thought about it, I realized I wasn't including enough protein in my meals, which made me feel hungry quickly after eating. This week, I made a conscious choice at the grocery store to choose more high-protein snacks and lunch options. 

I’m hoping to feel more satiated after each meal and perhaps not return to the pantry for a not-so-healthy snack. To be honest, it would be so much easier to throw my hands up in the air and say, “Forget about it!” However, I know in my heart of hearts I would not actually be happy with the end results. Maintaining my weight is a choice I’ve made that will require constant vigor. I must accept this and stop indulging in the “magical thinking” of wishing things were different than they actually are. 

“The bad life will not lead us to the good life.”
Alexandra Stoddard

No comments:

Post a Comment