Saturday, December 2, 2023

Choices-Day 1

 


“The good life has no boundaries, only opportunities.”
Alexander Stoddard

I think it’s sometimes easier to look at what we can’t do vs what we can. There is some sort of comfort in not having to try. Trying requires hard work, sacrifice and self-discipline. All three of these things can cause discomfort; something that we often try to avoid. 

Rather than use the excuse of not being able to do something perhaps we should choose to consider it as an opportunity. Even if that opportunity might be limited to some degree, choosing to give it a go will result in personal growth. The Greek philosopher Aristotle reminds us that there are good choices and wrong choices. 

The important thing is that we should strive to make the right choice the majority of the time, even though that choice might be hard to follow through with. 

If I want to maintain my weight then I need to be mindful of the food choices I make. Recently I concluded that I was feeling hungry too soon after eating a meal. After a little research I learned that people over sixty require more protein throughout the day than we did in our younger years.

As I thought about it I realized that I was not including enough protein in my meals resulting in feeling hungry quickly after eating. This week I made a conscious choice at the grocery store to choose more high protein snacks and lunch options. 

I’m hoping to feel more satiated after each meal, and perhaps not return to the pantry for a not so healthy snack. To be honest it would be so much easier to just throw my hands up in the air and say, “Forget about it!” However, I know in my heart of hearts I would not actually be happy with the end results. Maintaining my weight is a choice I’ve made that will require constant vigor. I must accept this, and stop indulging in the “magical thinking” of wishing things to be different than they actually are. 

“The bad life will not lead us to the good life.”
Alexandra Stoddard

No comments:

Post a Comment