Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Outer Order Inner Calm



This book is written by one of my favorites. Author, teacher, and speaker, Gretchen Rubin is a modern day philosopher in her own right. 

I happened upon Gretchen over ten years ago when her book, The Happiness Project, caught my attention.

I began following her blog, and found Gretchen to be a kindred spirit. Her advice, “Be Gretchen” or in my case “Shari” changed my life. 

For the first time it allowed me to feel content in who I was, and the lifelong struggle to fit into the “norm” became less consuming. 

Her “You can choose what you do, but not what you like to do,” was liberating. It allowed me to embrace all the “quirky, unconventional things” I liked to do that did not seem to be so common with most people I knew. It also gave me the opportunity to pass on things that I really didn’t enjoy doing just because “everyone” else was doing them. 

I’ve been fortunate to hear Gretchen speak on three occasions. I’ve also met her twice in person, and have signed copies of her books. 

Outer Order Inner Calm has been a mantra of mine ever since the first time I read her findings on how much order contributes to happiness. Being a naturally ordered person I did not find this shocking, but it did help remind me that the state of my purse or my pantry were often representative of my thoughts at that time. 

This book is a quick read, and chocked full of not so much organizational tips, but rather individualized ideas about how much order you require in your own life. 

It was the perfect book to read during my second week when my first choice fell through. 
If you are unfamiliar with Gretchen’s work, her blog and podcast are a great place to start. 

“Order is Heaven’s first law.”
Alexander Pope



No comments:

Post a Comment