Saturday, January 15, 2022

Oobleck



The other day the boys and I came across a really awesome science show for kids on Netflix. The scientific method was being taught through some very cool experiments.

After watching the kids on the show make Oobleck I told the boys we could make some the next time I came over. 

I picked up a large can of baking powder, and brought over my largest bowl. Oobleck only requires three ingredients-baking powder, water and food coloring. 

To make Oobleck you add one cup of water, one and one half cups of baking powder, and a few drops of food coloring to a bowl. Continue to stir together for around ten minutes.
 
Oobleck is considered a non-Newtonian fluid. It has the properties of both liquids and solids depending how you handle it. 

It feels like a liquid until you squeeze it, and then it’s more like a solid. 
The boys had a lot of fun, but be prepared for a mess. However, it’s actually a pretty easy substance to clean up. 

Luckily my oldest grandson reminded me not to pour any of it down the sink because it could end up clogging it. I must admit I had not heard that part when watching the original show. 

I feel quite blessed to share these fun experiences with my grandsons. 




No comments:

Post a Comment