Tuesday, July 6, 2021

What Was I Thinking?






Thirty-six years ago, to quote my three year old grandson, I had a “great idea.”

For some reason I thought it would be brilliant to get married on my birthday. Now I suppose if my birthday had occurred on a random Thursday that year I would have thought differently. However, conveniently it turned out to be a Saturday. 

Now my wedding day was one of the best days of my life, and I’ve been richly blessed the last thirty-six years, so the getting married part was not the problem. 

What I feel bad about is that most of the time the day is overshadowed by my birthday, and Chuck gets cheated out of a true anniversary celebration. 

What the heck, to be honest I squeezed two really great days into one, and both celebrations pale a little in comparison to what they probably should be, and I’m probably missing out as well. 

I wish I had taken the advice of my favorite high school teacher Miss Krebbs, now Kathleen Whitson, who counseled her students to get married on a date between Christmas, and each other’s birthday so there could be presents given and received year round. 

She was really on to something, and hers was the really brilliant idea.
 
Nevertheless, this year marks thirty-six years of marriage, and a milestone birthday for me. 

Chuck and I are planning on celebrating the anniversary with dinner at Pappadeaux’s  (thank you John and Sally) and later when we get settled into the new house we will have a little family celebration. 

Ironically, after reconnecting with Carol my friend from high school she informed me that she too had done the same thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment