Saturday, July 3, 2021

Don’t Let ‘Em Get Your Goat






Sometimes my oldest grandson lets his younger brother get the best of him. And I must admit I think the younger one enjoys getting on his brother’s nerves. 

That being said, the other day I counseled the older one not to let his younger brother get his goat. 

He looked at me with a puzzled look. What in the world did a nonexistent goat have to do with anything. 

I quickly looked through a bin of farm animals that just so happened to be out in the living room that day, and located a plastic goat. 

I explained to him that the expression “Getting your goat” had to do with not letting someone annoy or bother you. 

So each time little brother did something he considered annoying I would respond with, “Goat, Goat!” while pointing at the goat he had affectionately named Cookie. ( This kid has a gift for naming animals. LOL!)

And he would smile a big smile, and say, “Oh, yah!” and remarkably he would not let his brother get to him. 

Now in an attempt at solidarity, I confided in him that Cooper gets my goat when he barks too much. So both of us worked hard that day to keep our cool. 

It was actually a fun way to teach a lesson, and something I needed to be reminded about as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment