Friday, July 9, 2021

Persistence



I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was visiting my credit union which I had joined eight years ago when I bought my last car. 

Each month I had deposited a small amount of money, and pretty much just let it grow over the eight years. I decided to use some of it to pay for the closet shelving we were putting in our new house. 

I stopped by the credit union yesterday to withdraw the money. After giving the teller my account number, I asked her if she needed my drivers license?  She said no because she had it on file. 

A moment later she had a quizzical look on her face. She said I almost didn’t recognize you, you really look so much better today. Have you lost weight?

I shared with her that I was a lifetime member of WW (Weight Watchers) and that yes I had lost weight. (Probably about twenty five pounds since then.)

I was amused at her reaction, and told her she had made my day. It’s rare that a woman in her mid-sixties is told she looks better than she did eight years earlier. 

Now I wish I could say that I had accomplished this all on my own, or that each and every day of my life I had only made the healthiest of food choices. 

To be honest the last year between a pandemic, a sprained ankle, building a house, selling a house and planning two moves, along with basic lack of motivation it’s pretty crazy that I’ve not gained back every bit of my weight loss. 

That being said, I have managed to stay active with my WW workshops both through Zoom and in studio. Each week I’ve taken to heart the lessons I’ve learned, and although not perfect they have been enough to keep me from completely going off the rails. 

Add to that my WW buddy and life-long friend Carol who is always there to support me, and meet me at the workshops. 

I learned long ago that trying to do this on my own is impossible, but with the help of WW and coaches like Kim N. I’ve been able to do it. 

It does require persistence, but when you think about it what really good things in life don’t require this trait?

I’m looking forward to things settling down a bit, and putting into practice the healthy lifestyle I want to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment