Friday, January 11, 2019

Helpful or Hurtful?


Helpful or hurtful?

Sometimes when we are faced with a decision, and are unsure of what to do next asking ourselves a simple question may be helpful. 

“Will this help get me closer to my goal or will it take me away from it?”

One of my goals for the new year is to lose the few pounds I had gained during the holidays. To be honest I think my holiday may have begun back in September, but who’s counting, right?

One of the ways I stay on track is by attending WW meetings where I weigh in weekly. Now most of the time this is helpful to me because it keeps me on track and accountable. 

This week, though, I knew I wasn’t going to see that loss on the scale, and I found myself discouraged, and losing motivation. I really was not looking forward to weighing in.  

It was then I asked myself whether attending the meeting this week was going to be helpful or hurtful to me? Now I very committed to attending the meetings, and nine times out of ten I’m there. 

However, in choosing not to go I gave myself another week to continue the good habits I put in place after New Year’s. Rather than get discouraged, and give up completely I gave myself a little extra time to allow the pounds to come off. 

Knowing yourself is important, and I know how my “all or nothing” personality can often get in the way of my success. I felt good about my decision, and had a successful day of staying on track. 

I do need the accountability and community that the meetings bring, so I plan to be there next week regardless of the results. 






No comments:

Post a Comment