Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Self-Knowledge


Self-knowledge. 

I’ve started my Happiness Project Experience course, and the month of January is primarily about self-knowledge. 

One aspect of self-knowledge according to Gretchen Rubin is the understanding that, “We can choose what we do, but we can’t choose what we like to do.”

Have you ever chosen to do something that you knew you really didn't like? Yes, there you were standing at that football game cheering on the team, but secretly praying the game would not go into overtime. All the while wondering how the person next to you with the painted face seemed to be having the time of his life?

The first time I came across this idea it helped me to better understand why I wasn't always enjoying some of the activities that I was involved in. Although, I had chosen to participate in them my reasons for doing so wasn't always based on my true nature. 

Sometimes I did things because they were popular at the time, but more times than not I wished I was hanging out at the library looking for a good book. Although, it didn't sound too exciting to many it fit me to a tee. 

Since then I don't spend my Sunday afternoons watching football, or my spring and summer gardening. I've learned that as much as I wish I enjoyed these experiences I really don't. 

Being self-aware of what YOU actually like to do can definitely contribute to your overall happiness. Shakespeare says it quite clearly, "To thine own self be true."



No comments:

Post a Comment