Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Something New


Trying something new. Why am I so reluctant to try something new? Yesterday I was getting ready to buy my favorite English muffins. You know, the same brand and kind I have been buying for years. Thus, my favorite. But, in my ever faithful quest of eating more "real" food, I noticed that there was a multigrain version. I contemplated for several minutes, checking out ingredients trying to decide what to do. Actually, this idea of sticking with what we already know is hard wired. It's called the familiarity heuristic. Our brain defaults to the known and familiar as being better. However, I did decide to take a chance in the name of better health on the multi-grain muffins. Guess what? They were delicious! They even looked yummier embedded with all the different grains. It is an old adage, but it really does ring true. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment