Friday, February 6, 2015

Knitting



Knitting, or as I like to think of it; learning something new. When we are children basically everything we learn is something new. We do it quite naturally, and don't really give too much notice to our mistakes.  Learning to ride a bike inevitably ends up with a few scrapes and bruises, but we do it any way. Somewhere along the way we start becoming more selective about what we learn. If it falls in the comfort zone of what we already know then we might pursue it. However, if it is hard, unnatural or uncomfortable we probably shy away from it. Mistakes and failures are to be avoided at all costs. That's why knitting is important to me. You see, I just learned how to knit a few months ago. It was unfamiliar, hard, uncomfortable and I really wanted to quit because I wasn't very good. I kept having to remind myself  that I had faced the same thing when I learned to crochet a few years back. So I stuck with it, and slowly each day continued on. Eventually, I started to pick up speed and a rhythm. I started noticing how it was suppose to look, and found myself enjoying the motion of it. I adjusted along the way and purchased some bamboo needles which did not slip like the metal ones. Now I can honestly say that I know how to knit. My next step will be to actually follow a pattern and make something. My lesson learned here is to not be so hesitant to try something new. To not be sidetracked by failure and mistakes. I really love knitting and am sad to think of what I would have missed out on if I had not tried. To quote Shakespeare, " Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."

No comments:

Post a Comment