Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The List




In the summer of 1974, right after I graduated from high school, I made a list. I remember feeling very contemplative that summer as I questioned what my future would be. I knew that someday I wanted to be married and have a family. I thought I wanted to be a high school drama teacher. Not so much because I felt a strong desire to teach, but more because my mom had told me that I should always have a way to support myself. As I thought about my future, I made a bucket list of sorts. These were all things that at eighteen years old I thought would be important to accomplish. I have yet to travel through Europe, but I do see that in the near future. Although, I am not a free-lance photographer I am a pretty good amateur photographer. I was quite pleased with the photo I took of my daughter and son-in-law for their Christmas card. I've never danced in a musical variety show, but I've considered dusting off the old tap shoes- well actually new tap shoes. I remember really enjoying my tap dancing days during my childhood. I've never formally taken an art history class, but I did begin an independent study of art one summer. I actually did play the guitar that summer. I learned to strum a few chords on my brother's guitar as I sang my favorite John Denver tunes.  I took tennis lessons several semesters in college, and although I never considered myself to be accomplished, I did enjoy playing. I've never written a novel, and I'm not sure I have it in me, but I am writing this blog. It's just that back in 1974 we had no idea what a blog was. I've written a children's story, but it remains filed away. Perhaps, I should take it out and give it a second chance. I've worked a little with water colors, but nothing that involved. As a classroom teacher I had several opportunities to write and direct classroom productions. The drama teacher in me remained. I have traveled quite a bit through the good old USA, but not in a camper. However, a small travel trailer is looking pretty certain in my future. I've been to Colorado, former home of John Denver, twice and loved it both times. I have developed my own personal library over the years, and hope to have some built in shelves at my next home to show it off. As a huge Nancy Drew fan I would love to have solved a real mystery. I did however use my detective skills to locate the address of the woman who failed to register the truck she purchased from us in her own name. Although, I took Spanish in high school I cannot say that I am proficient in speaking it. However, in my attempts to give my brain a good workout, I am considering picking up Spanish again. 
As I've looked over the last forty years I can honestly say that I've done most everything on the list in one form or fashion. The interesting thing is that I didn't pull it out regularly and check it over the years. It all kind of fell in place. Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment