Monday, February 9, 2015

The Rocking H




This is one of my favorite photos from our time raising cattle. What an experience for a city girl who was basically afraid of cows. Before it was all said and done though, I got pretty good at herding them in and out of our front yard. One of the things I particularly loved were the calves. As much as you wish you could get close enough to love on them, that really never happened. That's why this photo is so special.The chances of a calf standing this still with her protective mother standing by allowing someone to touch her is rare. 
One of the other thing I learned about calves is that the group of babies are usually left with one
mama cow as a babysitter while the rest of the herd grazes. In our case the oldest female Nana
was usually the one tasked with this responsibility.  Once though, my husband spent a week at our farm building a cross fence. I got a call from him letting me know that all the cows had left to make their rounds along the pasture and all the babies had been left with him. Apparently, Nana had gotten a reprieve that day and my husband was pinch hitting as the babysitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment