Friday, June 1, 2018

Steps To Better Eating


Steps To Better Eating. 

If you have considered eating healthier it's easy to get overwhelmed. To begin with there are so many different schools of thought when it comes to what you should eat. I'm not going to share with you a specific diet, rather I'm going to give you a few tips that have worked for me. 

My journey to healthy eating really is about a five year journey, and it has certainly been far from perfect, but I am content with how I'm maintaining my weight, getting great results on my blood work, and just an overall feeling of wellness. 

  1. Begin eating more real food- The blog 100 Days of Real Food got me started on trying to eat less processed, and more real food. I began checking ingredients, and looking for five or less that I could recognize and pronounce. When I stopped eating so much processed food my reoccurring headaches became fewer and fewer, and now are gone. 

  1. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store- A good way to start buying healthier choices is to shop the perimeter of the store vs. the aisles. The only time I'm usually entering the aisles is to buy whole grain pasta, canned tomatoes, lots of beans, peanut butter, tea, and frozen foods. 

  1. Brew your own tea- I absolutely love unsweetened tea, the stronger the better. Black tea has a very refreshing taste. To be honest, I didn't always feel this way. I used to use sugar, and then artificial sweetener in my tea. When I stopped it took a little time to acquire a taste for the unsweetened variety. I usually only drink water, tea, and coffee, and don't waste my time on sodas or diet sodas. 

  1. Sprouts- If you are fortunate enough to have a Sprouts nearby take advantage of their produce. I have found their prices to be excellent, and are actually advertised as loss leaders. I rarely buy any of the pricier products, and get most of my groceries from Walmart. While you are there spring for a loaf of Ezekiel Flax bread found in the refrigerated section of the bakery, and try it toasted. Add a little real butter, and your tastebuds will thank you. 

  1. Pasture raised eggs- I have made the decision to spend more on pasture raised eggs, and usually buy Vital Farms when available. You might enjoy checking out their website to learn more about their philosophy toward raising hens. One of my favorite breakfasts is avocado toast with a fried egg on top. I toast Ezekiel bread, and top it with a mashed avocado with lime and seasoning, and put an egg on top. This breakfast is to die for. 


  1. Steel cut oats- For sixty years I never liked oatmeal, that is until I tried steel cut oats. I think for me the texture of the mushy oats is what I didn't like. I do not add sweetener to my oats, but use either fresh or frozen blueberries instead. I make these oats on the stove, and they take about ten minutes, but it is ten minutes well spent. 

  1. Hummus- I used to think that lunch always had to be accompanied by chips. Now don't get me wrong, I still have a weakness for their salty, crispy goodness, but now I add raw veggies, and hummus as my side. I recently discovered sugar snap peas, and really like their crispness. Although, the "baby carrots," are convenient, I prefer the real deal, and cut up my own. I also add a bunch of broccoli crowns to the mix, and I'm quite content. 


  1. Brown bag popcorn- Popcorn has always been my go to snack, and today I pop my own in the microwave using a brown paper lunch bag. I put 1/4 cup of kernels in the bag, and pop until the popping slows. Don't be tempted to get a few more pops because it can burn easily. I dump it in a bowl, and give it a spritz of olive oil. I then add salt, and my homemade "Parmesan." I blend 1 cup of slivered almonds with 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast, and 3/4 tsp kosher salt in the blender, and make this salty nutty delight. 


  1. Raw honey- I've been picking up a large bottle of Nature Nate's raw honey at Sam's and use it in my hot tea.  Raw honey is more nutritional since it doesn't have any added corn syrup. 

  1. Herbal tea- After my tour of Celestial Seasonings in Boulder, Colorado, I became hooked on tea. Many times I fix a cup for Chuck and I before bedtime to help aid in sleeping. 


  1. Meatless Monday- If you've never considered fixing a meal without meat you might want to consider it. Pinterest can be your best friend when it comes to finding delicious recipes. If you don't think you can give up meat, try looking for a new side dish. I was surprised to learn how delicious many meals are that are made from chick peas or black beans. Chuck and I eat less meat than before, and enjoy trying new places and dishes. I have found it easier to maintain my weight keeping my meat and dairy consumption in check. 

I also want to endorse Weight Watchers if you are wanting to learn more about healthier eating.  If you choose to join I encourage you to make the weekly meetings a part of your health routine. Being with like-minded people goes a long way to keep you motivated, and you will always come away with something you didn't know before. For many having the accountability of a weekly weigh-in leads to better success as well. 



If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment