Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Finish Line


The finish line. 

If you are goal orientated like me the idea of not having a finish line seems counter-productive. Perhaps this is why I always succeeded at losing weight, but failed at maintaining that loss. 

That is until I read about the concept of the finish line in Gretchen Rubin's book, Better Than Before. She also clarified my all or nothing personality. Because of this I learned that I did better to just abstain rather than try to moderate.

One bite of chips at a Mexican restaurant would ultimately lead to a whole basket, when just deciding ahead of time not to partake was actually easier. I've learned over twenty years as a lifetime member of Weight Watchers that just because you hit that magic number the journey is not over. 

That all or nothing thinking has to be abandoned when it comes to other areas of your life as well.  It's better to celebrate the little victories along the way, to grant yourself grace when you stumble, and to look forward to that next new thing to keep the journey interesting. 


I still believe in setting and working toward goals, but I no longer let the idea of a finish line spur me on or hold me back. As we move along the road of life we need to remain adaptable to what new interests might be there for the calling. Let the finish line guide you, but not define you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment