Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Roadmap


The roadmap. 

When Chuck and I were newly married, and traveled we depended heavily on a roadmap to get us to our destination. I would serve as co-pilot and navigator, and would decider the twists and turns of the map. Today that roadmap has been replaced by a GPS app on my i phone, where I'm guided by a pleasant sounding mystery woman who reminds me only to take a legal U turn. 

However, the idea of a roadmap to help you get where you are going is actually still a pretty good idea. Whether you are just starting out or ready to move onto a new phase of your life having an idea which direction you are headed can help make that dream a reality. 

One of the best books I've read on this subject is Roadtrip Nation. Infact, I've checked it out twice, and renewed it once, and I'm thinking about purchasing a copy for my own library. When you are stuck about what you want to do next with your life this book gives you a formula for reflection that might just get you started on the right path. 

One of the aha moments for me was the comment, "What you do today is who you are." As I think about the choices I make each day regarding my actions and activities, I wonder if that extra hour in front of the TV is really who I am? 

I can't help but think about a couple I know who always seems to be on the go. Infact, I've wondered how they keep up the pace, but when I think about the choices they make it really does reflect who they are. That have opened their home time and time again to support causes they find dear to their heart. 

Their genuineness and generosity shines through in all they do. More than anything they really do seem to be having fun and enjoying life. I think sometimes I put my life on hold thinking there might be a better time for something I've considered doing. Just like Roadtrip Nation points out, " There is no aspirational 'you' waiting around the corner."

Thinking back on the advice of the Post Office Sage reminding me that each day we are given choices, warns me that even doing nothing is a choice. 

"Our lives are the accumulation of everything we choose to do. And what we choose not to do."

Roadtrip Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment