Monday, June 25, 2018

Pie


Pie. 

I remember when Brittany was little we used to like to go to Tippins as a family to get pie. Sometimes it was a little late at night, but it always worth the drive, and the pie never disappointed as it was delicious. Eventually, our favorite pie place closed, and pie seemed to be reserved for Thanksgiving.

About five years ago my friend Kim introduced me to Emporium Pies in the Bishop Arts district. It wasn't too much later that I learned they had opened an Emporium Pies on the McKinney square, which was closer to Frisco. Although, I never found myself there on a weekly basis, anytime I was there I knew my tastebuds would thank me. 

Ironically, last summer I was with Kim again celebrating Christmas in July when we found ourselves peeking through the window of Judy Pie in downtown Grapevine. It didn't take long for the owner to step out, and invite us in for a sample. We couldn't turn her down for her generous offer, and another delicious pie place was discovered. 

Are you beginning to see a pattern here?  Last Christmas our apartment complex party included pie from a place in Colleyville named Buttermilk Sky. It was quite tasty as well, and I made a note to self to check it out sometime when I was in the area. 

On Saturday Chuck and I found ourselves in Frisco so he could get a haircut. As we traveled down the tollway the words Buttermilk Sky caught my eye, and the decision was made tonreturn later in the afternoon to try some. Although, the Pie was exceptionally good, we were a little disappointed that there was no seating inside the store. Not to be slowed down any we bought a mini Key Lime, and ate it in the car. 

We learned from our cashier that the original Buttermilk Sky is in Knoxville, Tennessee, and the customer favorite the I 40 is in honor of the original stores location. We have plans to make a trip to Virginia this fall, and are going to check it out along the way.

I think I'll follow the lead of famous baseball coach Yogi Berra, "Cut my pie into four pieces, I don't think I could eat eight."






No comments:

Post a Comment