Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Those Who Live in Glass Houses




 I remember learning the adage, “People who live in glass houses should not throw stones,” as a child. I must admit I never quite fully understood it until I got older. 

Phrasemix explains it like this, “Don’t criticize other people if you’re not perfect yourself.” This reminds me of the parable that Jesus taught about removing the log from your own eye before judging others. 

I do know that over the years I have been quick to criticize as it seems I have an opinion on just about everything. Here’s the thing, though, you may offer your opinion, but that doesn’t mean it will automatically be well received. Those stones that come flying back are easier to endure in a house made of stone. 

Now I’m not saying that there aren’t times in this world when we need to stand up and speak out. Just temper that with how you are living your own life. It’s easy to be quick to judge, but without really knowing the whole story it might not be the best thing to do. 

Remember a glass house lends very little protection, and it’s fallout could be even more detrimental. 

As far as sharing this with our children perhaps teaching the adage itself might lend itself to older children, but the groundwork and concept can be taught from the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment