Thursday, May 4, 2023

A Penny Saved

 


According to Phrasemix, “A penny saved is a penny earned,” means “Save your money. Saving money is just like making money. 

This adage is attributed to Ben Franklin, along with his words of wisdom, “ Early to bed, early to rise.” Ben knew a thing or two about how small can really add up over time. 

Being careful with what you have been given, no matter how insignificant it might seem at the time, can certainly work to your benefit.

My husband started saving $20.00 a week years ago, and in just five short weeks he would have saved $100.00. He has used this money to spend on things that he wanted or needed that he did not want to spend family money on. 

I remember saving up my babysitting money as a young teenager until I had saved twenty dollars. Now mind you back in the early seventies babysitters made only fifty cents an hour. 

It was this discipline of saving that helped me save money to help pay for college. Each week during the summer when I worked I would allow myself $10.00 for the week. The rest of my somewhat small paycheck would be faithfully deposited in my bank account. I was able to help contribute to my education which I’m sure my parents appreciated. 

So don’t think that a penny here, and a penny there can’t result in growing future wealth. Saving that penny helps to add to your net worth, and overtime you might be surprised how much you have accumulated.

Teaching our children to be responsible with money from a young age is something all parents should take seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment