Thursday, May 11, 2023

If It Ain’t Broke

 



Phrasemix describes “ If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, as “Don’t try to improve something that already works fairly well. You’ll probably end up causing new problems.”

I find this adage to be extremely helpful when my perfection gene starts to kick in. Learning when to stop with “perfectly fine” can be a challenge to those who think that things could always be “a little more perfect.” 

I had a student years ago who at the tender age of seven gave me some words of wisdom that have stuck with me over the years.

While complaining about how imperfect the Christmas ornaments were that I had made my students she consoled me with, “They’re good enough for kids.” What she meant was that kids don’t set the unachievable standard of perfection that many adults do.

She was content with a Christmas ornament in the shape of a bell made by her teacher with her name Sarah written in glitter. 

As you are working on a project and something seems to be going along just fine, don’t automatically think there is a better way, and try to fix something that isn’t broken. 

As children face frustration in their endeavors teaching them this adage will help them to determine when to continue and when to stop. Of course, you might want to point out that the word “ain’t” probably isn’t the best choice, and might need to be reserved for the old adage alone. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment