Saturday, May 6, 2023

Don’t Judge



“You can’t judge a book by its cover,” 
according to Phrasemix means “Things sometimes look different than they really are.”

I’m very guilty of judging books and people by their covers. Often as I’m pursuing the shelves at the bookstore I’m drawn to certain style of books. Not only do I love a wonderful story, I naturally gravitate to a beautiful book. In doing so I might be overlooking a truly wonderful book. 

I’m kind of the same way with people. Now on the one hand it sounds quite “horrible” to be judging others by their outward appearances. However, on the other hand I truly believe that we have a built in (from our caveman ancestors) radar that alerts us to possible danger. 

When we have that uncomfortable feeling, we need to listen to our gut, and access the situation for possible dangers. 

That being said, blindly jumping to a conclusion about someone based on their “cover” or circumstances is not right either. Reaching out to others who don’t look like you, or who different from you can be extremely rewarding. 

Now this doesn’t mean you have to change your world view, but it might help you to understand why someone’s else thinks the way they do. 

Helping to guide our children in this venture, from both perspectives is a life skill truly worth teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment