Monday, January 13, 2020

The Cast Iron Skillet



The Cast Iron Skillet

I was not born in the south, and my experience with cast iron skillets is pretty much nil. 
That being said, early on in our marriage Chuck bought a cast iron skillet, and used it occasionally to fry bacon and eggs.

Over time the skillet got used less and less. Our style of eating changed, and we no longer considered bacon grease a food group. Eventually, the skillet made its way up to our farm, and pretty much was retired. 

When it came time to sell the farm, the skillet was given away to Goodwill. 

Apparently, I didn’t realize how much Chuck missed that skillet. When he first asked me about it, I assured him that BOTH of us had agreed to get rid of it. I asked him if it had belonged to his mother or grandmother, as I worried that we may have given away a family heirloom. 

No, it was just something that we had had for over thirty years, so I guess that’s what made it valuable to him. What I later learned was that Chuck had seen a recipe for potato and egg hash on You Tube, and was determined to replicate it. 

The only problem was that our cast iron skillet was non-existent. Not surprisingly a cast iron skillet made its way to Chuck’s Christmas list this year, and being the good wife that I am I bought him one. I actually picked up the preseasoned Pioneer Woman version with a lovely butterfly stamped on the handle. Not very manly, I know, but I figured we’d probably both be using the skillet, and hoped the butterfly wouldn’t be a deal breaker. 

Yesterday, we made our maiden dish in it, and it was delicious! I chopped up potatoes, green pepper, and onions, while Chuck fried bacon in the skillet. After removing the bacon Chuck sautéed the vegetable blend, and then added minced garlic, and spices to the mixture. 

Chuck made three indentations in the hash, added cheese and eggs to the holes, and then transferred the skillet to a preheated 400 degree oven to finish up the cooking process.

I added some diced green onion tops to the finished product, and Chuck crumbled the bacon on top. It looked pretty yummy, and did not disappoint in taste. 

Chuck already has a pizza recipe that he’s excited to try out with our trusty little skillet. I’ll let you know how our next culinary adventure turns out. 

I’ve included the recipe for Skillet Potato Egg Hash below if you own a cast iron skilllet, and would like to try it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment