Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Be Content


Be Content

Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.
—Lao Tzu

Contentment is often times easier said than done. However, my experience has been that as I’ve grown older, and perhaps wiser, I find myself more and more content. 
When I was younger I was always looking for the next big thing. Ironically, at the stage I’m at now I’m usually looking for smaller and less. 

Once I worried about every little physical flaw, while today I realize that there are many facets of aging that I have very little control over. So instead of fretting over the visible signs of aging I do the best I can with what I’ve got, and leave it at that. 

When I think of a role model for contentment I always think about St. Paul who reminds us in
Philippians 4:11-13 

“Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment