Monday, December 9, 2019

Neck and Neck


Neck and Neck

The late Nora Ephron, screen writer of When Harry Met Sally, wrote a book in her sixties entitled, I Feel Bad About My Neck.

I learned something about my neck a few days ago while shopping for some winter shirts. Due to age, and a constant state of being too warm I haven’t bought or worn a sweater or a turtle neck in years. 

I constantly find myself pushing my sleeves up toward my elbows in an attempt to stay somewhat comfortable, all the while hoping a hot flash stays at bay. 

To be honest, I was pretty disappointed in the choice of basic “everyday” shirts I found this year, and trecked to several stores in a pilgrimage-like fashion trying to find something I liked. I’ll be the first to admit that unlike most women, shopping for clothes is not my favorite thing. 

Shopping for books, journals and art supplies, on the other hand are much more up my alley. However, I digress. 

Although, I knew that a regular turtleneck would be way too hot, I thought I’d try the less obvious mock turtleneck. I had recalled that about fifteen years ago they were my go-to winter shirts, so I figured I couldn’t go wrong. 

Maybe, I should have taken into account the state of my neck today, as compared to fifteen years ago. What I quickly discovered was that while a turtleneck completely hides your neck, a mock turtleneck hits it right at the most obvious spot of aging, and screams “over sixty with no sign of a facelift in the near future.”

As I decided on a few shirts, I chose the scooped neck variety due to the fact that they appeared to draw the eye away from the culprit, and they also came with my beloved three quarter length sleeve. No pushing required. 


This getting older is an interesting journey for sure with new discoveries almost daily. I now understand why Diane Keaton is never seen without a snappy little scarf tied around her neck!

No comments:

Post a Comment