Monday, November 18, 2019

Resting


Resting

Ruth Chou Simmons in her beautiful book, Gracelaced, writes about resting in God’s faithfulness. 

Recently I’ve found myself somewhat restless searching for something I can’t quite put my finger on. I can always tell when I’m in this place when I become obsessed with personality tests. 

Since my twenties I’ve been on this quest to figure myself out. If I could only identify which Myers Briggs or Enneagram type I am, then I’ll finally know which direction my life should take. 

As it turns out this becomes a struggle within itself because I never quite fit into any of the types exactly. I waver back and forth between extroverted introvert or introverted extrovert wondering if aren’t they pretty much the same thing?


What I’ve come to realize is that, although, these tests might have some benefit, I’m actually putting my trust in the wrong place thinking they have all the answers. 

Proverbs 3:5-6 reminds me, 

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” 

What I’m also coming to understand is that sometimes I just need to rest in the assurance that what I am to do next will be made known to me in God’s timing. I don’t have to be in charge. 

As we head into the holiday season I’m going to put away the personality tests, and enjoy spending time with family and friends, and being ever grateful for the blessings God has placed before me.






No comments:

Post a Comment