Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Ask the Question


Ask the Question

I’ve found in life that taking the time to ask a question often elevates a somewhat mundane activity into something more interesting. 

This very thing happened a few Sunday’s ago on the way home from church. We noticed that a large plantation style home was having an estate sale on their property, and thought it might be fun to check it out. 

The stately home stood on over thirty acres, and the long driveway was flanked by oak trees on either side. We noticed each one was marked with a pink tag. 

We had seen a sign pop up earlier in the summer advertising a new neighborhood that was going to be built on the property. It seemed kind of a shame that the palatial estate was going to be carved up into a series of McMansions. 

We wondered about the beautiful home that set further back on the property. We also wondered if each marked tree was destined for the wood chipper?

After arriving and parking in the adjoining pasture we made our way to an area that had been set up with white tents. Since it was already Sunday most everything was already picked over. I had noticed that the owner was selling her collection of original Cabbage Patch Dolls still in their boxes, and it brought back memories of the eighties. 

As we were leaving a woman making her way up the path stopped to ask about what was left. I mentioned the Cabbage Patch Dolls, and the parking attendant commented on the owner, and her doll collection. 

I stopped to ask her if she knew anything about the owners. Always curious I 
wanted to know more about the future plans for the place. 

As it turned out this was no ordinary parking attendant, she was actually the daughter of the estate owner. I braced myself to hear the heartbreaking story of her parents passing away, and they having to sell the property. However, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that what I had imagined in my own mind was not true after all. 

Within a matter of moments her mother arrived on scene carrying a large pizza. She proceeded to fill me in on the rags to riches story of the young couple from Oklahoma. The home had just gotten to be more than they needed, and they just like most of us were wanting to downsize. 

We learned that the beautiful oaks lining the driveway would stay, and so would the home. New houses would be built on the front end of the property. 

Now what began as a routine garage sale of sorts ended up being a fascinating story of a young couple who had built a life for themselves and their family in Colleyville. 

I’m so glad I stopped to ask a question. If it’s not your practice to do so you might consider it because it sure makes life a lot more interesting. 



Stay curious my friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment