Friday, November 22, 2019

Thanksgiving Musings

Thanksgiving Musings

Well I almost decided not to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year. 

It’s not that I wasn’t going to celebrate Thanksgiving, rather I was considering letting Kroger’s do the cooking.

Yes, at the time in a moment of sheer madness it sounded perfectly sane, because it sounded so easy. But after I came back to my senses I knew I’d be disappointed with the store-bought version of a feast. 

Now as it is I really do try to make Thanksgiving a little simpler. I cook my Butterball (my favorite turkey of all) in a roasting bag which is super easy. My cornbread dressing begins with a Pepperidge Farm bag of dried cornbread, and I ask my guests to each bring a side. 

I’m responsible for the bird, dressing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. I wish I could claim the gravy, but it usually comes out of a jar. Rolls are our favorite brown and serve, and cranberry sauce has traditionally come from a can. 

A couple of Thanksgivings ago, though, I tried a fall Brussels Sprouts salad which is now a new favorite, and this year I plan on trying a healthier version of homemade cranberry sauce. 

As I think about the work required for a Thanksgiving meal, between planning, shopping, preparing and cleaning up afterwards, I realize that it really is a labor of love, but I’m so blessed to be able to do so. 

It seems that Thanksgiving is starting to take a backseat in the holiday world, being squeezed out by an early Christmas entrance. I still enjoy decorating for fall in November, remembering that first historical Thanksgiving, and eating the traditional foods of my youth. 

I look forward to spending time with my family all the while counting the many blessings in my life. After the feast as we gather around the TV for the Cowboy fans in the group, we also excitedly check out the Black Friday specials as we divvy up the sales circulars.

Brittany and I will be up early the next morning to take advantage of the sales, and for me to get at least two thirds of my Christmas shopping done. 

I’ll hold out until after Thanksgiving to put up my tree, but can’t wait for “the most wonderful time of the year.”

No comments:

Post a Comment