Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Humble


Humble.

Being humble seems to fly in the face of our current culture. I recently picked up a popular book that had caught my eye. I was curious what all the hype was about. 

At first I was quite taken in by all the upbeat, motivating sentiment at how I could take charge of my life, and accomplish my wildest dreams. 

It wasn’t until I came to the chapter about how the author chose not to be too involved in her children’s lives in order to accomplish all HER wildest dreams that I began to have second thoughts. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I was a working mother, and I’m not trying to pit career over motherhood, but at the same time I always knew which of the two was the higher calling. 

It’s very trendy today to be brave, and to step out of your comfort zone in order to do it all. Honestly, I’ve encouraged others through my blog to not limit the possibilities, but today when this Bible verse popped up on my i pad it really spoke to my heart. 

“Humble yourself, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you.”
1 Peter 5:6

Interestingly the definition of humble is “having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s own importance.”

This really does seem antithetical to what we are taught today. 



What I found reassuring, though, was that in His perfect timing, if you allow it, you will accomplish the things you were put on this earth to do, all with an air of humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment