Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Gravity




 As much as we like to think that we are in control, the reality is that there are many factors that we have no control over. 


The other day I found my hummingbird feeder laying on the ground covered in ants. The command hook it was attached to have slowly lost its grip, and gravity had done its due. 


I picked it up, brushed off the ants, and made some more hummingbird syrup. Except when I attempted to hang it back up I realized that it was leaking. Something had broken in the fall, and I knew I needed to purchase a new feeder. 


I had to wait until later the next day to make a trip to Tractor Supply to pick one up. The next day I hung up the new feeder and waited for the hummingbirds to return. 


Sadly, I didn’t see any birds and wondered if they would return? Eventually I saw two come close to the feeder but then flyoff. So far they have not returned to feed. 


Are they hesitant to try out the new feeder? Did they think the food source was gone since it was missing for a day? At this point I have no real answers, but am holding out hope that they will eventually come back. 


What I do know is that when it comes to nature I have no real control. I know that it was getting closer to having to take down the feeder as the hummingbirds begin their migration in early fall. I knew that I would certainly miss them, but would look forward to their return next spring. 


As much as we like to think we are in control there really are some things that are out of our hands. 


Update: The new feeder fell down twice in less than 24 hours so I returned it to Tractor Supply, and bought the original feeder from Walmart. It’s hanging outside now, but so far no hummingbirds. I’ll let you know if any return to feed. I did see two hummingbirds fly by to check out the first replacement feeder, but they did not stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment