Monday, June 26, 2023

Noom



Around mid-March something came across my Facebook feed that caught my attention. It was an advertisement about a weight loss program called Noom. 

Now as you probably remember I’ve been a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers for many years, and have had good success with the program. In fact, if I still lived in the metroplex I would not even be writing this post. I used to look forward to my weekly WW meetings, and had even reconnected with a high school friend at one of the meetings.

One of the things I liked about the meetings was the flexibility I had to choose a meeting time that worked for me. When we moved to our new rural community there was actually no meetings less than an hour away. Over time a meeting in Stephenville (about 15 minutes away) was available , but not always practical. During the winter months driving in the dark to and from the meeting wasn’t something I even wanted to attempt due to the many dead deer you would see along the highway. 

As time went by I was having less and less success with maintaining my weight. As much as I hoped to be able to do so on my own I rarely can maintain my weight without some form of accountability. That’s where Noom came into the picture. 

Now technically I only had about eight pounds to lose to get back to my desired goal weight. However, left unchecked I knew my weight would continue to increase if I continued on the same path. 

I went ahead and signed up pretty impulsively for me, since it’s cost was more than what I was paying each month to keep my WW online tools. I did so knowing that I was only committed to a two months stint, which in my mind seemed like a fair amount of time to see some results. 

I shared with Chuck that I was needing something to kickstart my return to healthier eating. 
He agreed that Noom sounded like a perfect solution for me. 

I must admit I have really enjoyed the program. It is easy to follow, there are no restricted foods or food groups, and it provides for easy tracking of weight, water, steps and food intake. But, most of all it includes daily lessons that range from nutrition to psychology. All of which I have found helpful. The basic membership includes a group coach that you can reach out to if needed, and a group chat feature like Facebook. 

In the first two months I had lost the eight pounds, but decided to sign on for two more months to help me with maintenance. I was excited to see that they provided lessons about maintaining your weight, as well. This has always been the hardest part for me, and I have appreciated the support I have received during this phase. 

The program really is working for me, and I want to put my health high on my list of priorities. I’ll take it two months at a time to see if I want to continue. After sharing the program with my doctor at my yearly check-up he pointed out that the actual monthly cost wasn’t too unreasonable if it helped me stay healthy. 

If you have any more questions please reach out to me, and I’ll be happy to answer any of your questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment