Monday, June 5, 2023

Kathy

 



Growing up an Army brat  for the first eleven years of my life I don’t have many of those childhood friendships that have lasted over the years. So being able to stand here today to remember a friendship that lasted fifty years is more than special to me. In fact, I count that friendship as one of my greatest blessings. 

Although Kathy and I attended elementary school, junior high and high school together, our friendship really didn’t begin until our junior year when we were fortunate enough to share several classes together. I think it was probably in our typing class that our friendship really blossomed. Kathy shared my off-beat sense of humor and together one day after lunch where we rescued a few pickles from a hamburger Save the Pickle Foundation was founded.  Our creativity took off as we began typing about famous pickles from the past. It was then I knew I had met a kindred spirit. 

During our senior year we served together as officers in Y-Teens and helped behind the scenes with make-up and costumes for several theater productions. Although, it was hard work, what I remember most about Kathy was no matter what we were doing we always had fun. 
Kathy and I attended different colleges, but would always manage to get together when we were home during the summer. When we both began teaching, although in separate districts, we still remained friends. Kathy was even kind enough to loan Kim Sanford and I her dining room table for our first apartment.  

After I got married, though,  I moved to the Frisco area , and as often happens we kind of drifted apart. As you can imagine when I was invited to join a group of former high school classmates in the early 2000s, I was thrilled to be able to rekindle our friendship. We basically picked up where we left off. 

So ever since I’ve been blessed to see Kathy each month as our group, the Yee Haws, has met for dinner at El Felix, along with having traveled together as far as Lake Tahoe, along with several other Texas weekend getaways.

More times than I can count Kathy hosted us at her beautiful White Bluff home. She was so hospitable as she wined and dined us, and always made us feel right at home. I have so many fond memories of the time we spent together there sitting out on her screened  porch watching the deer come up to feed. 

Kathy had a way of telling a story that kept you mesmerized while sitting around the table. In fact, as I have looked back at pictures Kathy always seemed to be front and center as we all gathered around her. And of course her beautiful  smile always shone through. I’m going to miss that smile and her infectious laugh. There certainly is an empty seat at the table now. 

Even though the last years of Kathy’s life were challenging she somehow didn’t allow that to hold her back from living life to the fullest. She always seemed to find a way to spend time with those she loved. She always reminded us that in the end it was love that would win.

I feel honored and blessed that I got to spend time with her just a few days before her passing. As we left we really had no idea if we would see her again. That was a very strange feeling. What I do know, though, is that Kathy had a strong faith that allowed her to transition from her earthly life to a heavenly one where she knew she would once again be reunited with her family. 
I certainly have a hole in my heart at her passing, but count myself so fortunate and blessed to have called her friend all these many years, and rest in the love we shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment