Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Beauty Is

 


I was looking at my cat the other day, and admiring how beautiful she was when I was reminded of the adage, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

Phrasemix defines this simply as “Different people have different ideas about what’s beautiful.”

Now this one has been a little difficult for me to fully grasp as I’ve observed some people’s choices, and have scratched my head wondering, “What were they thinking?” Kind of like that occasional purple house you come across now and then. 

However, accepting our differences in tastes does make life a little more interesting. If everyone was the same it could get quite boring. I try to point this out to my oldest grandson as he questions his middle brother’s choices in pretty much everything.

In our Pinterest perfect world it can get exhausting to keep up with all the latest trends. In choosing the countertops for our current house we went with granite, even though quartz seemed to be the trend of the day. In our last house our walls remained white while others were being painted the popular gem tone colors. Interestingly, when the time came to sell, white had made its way back into the lexicon.

Let’s encourage our children not to be too judgmental when it comes to other’s tastes, and remember the other old adage, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment