Thursday, June 15, 2023

Goal Orientation Theory

 


I learned something new today about goal-setting. 

According to Noom (my on- line weight loss program) there is something called “Goal Orientation Theory” that divides goals into two categories. These are based on what motivates different individuals. 

Some people are motivated by “Performance-oriented goals” which revolves around the “demonstrating their competence” to others. 

Others are motivated by “Mastery-oriented goals” where they are focused more on “mastering tasks, self-improvement and developing new skills.”

After learning this it answered so many questions about how I’ve never been motivated by competition or challenges. My motivation comes from with in and my “competition” is more with myself. 
What I already knew to be true is that what works for one person may not necessarily work for another. There really is no one size fits all. That being said, knowing what makes you tick can help you to be able to achieve your goals. 

According to Noom, Goal Orientation Theory “Helps us understand why people are motivated to work toward a goal and can predict someone’s likelihood to achieve and sustain it.”

“To thine own self be true”
William Shakespeare 

No comments:

Post a Comment