Sunday, June 11, 2023

Moving in the Right Direction

 


“Big steps or small-it doesn’t really matter, as long as you’re moving in the right direction.”
Bob and Melinda Blanchard

I recently picked up a book from my bookshelves that caught my attention. Like many of the books I own I remember starting it, but I’m not sure I actually finished it. 

I decided to try reading it again, but this time while taking notes. I’m drawn to non-fiction personal development books. (The new name for the old self-help genre.) However, probably the combination of age and my inordinate amount of time spent on my i pad I don’t seem to be able to stay focused like I used to. 

The book I am reading is Changing Your Course- The 5 Step Guide to Getting the Life You Want, by husband and wife Bob and Melinda Blanchard. As I began reading the introduction I had to agree with their sentiment.

“As time passed, we discovered that shifting directions makes life more interesting and fulfilling.”

I have to agree that being open to possibilities and opportunities definitely makes life more interesting. In fact just today at church I spoke with one friend about wanting to learn more from her about “earthing”, another friend about having her teach me how to read a crotchet pattern, and finally a third friend about making homemade jelly. 

Throw in another fascinating conversation about Jesus and the miracle of healing, and I’d say it was a pretty good pre-church experience, and like always Pastor Mike’s message was very powerful. My point is that I think for me it’s easy to slip into the comfort and security of routine, and find my life becoming dull again. 

However, I know that for me life is so much more interesting when I throw in some variety. For Valentine’s Day this past February Chuck got me a James Avery compass ring. I always wear it with north pointing toward the top of my finger. I like to think that my ring is a gentle reminder of staying on the right path and going toward my true north following the purpose I was put on this earth to accomplish. 

“In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.”
Proverbs 16:9

No comments:

Post a Comment