Wednesday, June 26, 2019

What We Worry About


What we worry about. 

Several months ago I noticed that compared to my legs my feet were awfully white. In other words there was definitely a tan line right around my ankles. 

Now I knew this was due to the fact that nine times out of ten during the spring you will find me wearing Keens with a pair of ankle length socks. 

So as a result of this fashion choice my feet rarely see the light of day, and remain a pale, white color. Now normally this doesn’t bother me too much, as I’m not too concerned about what the people in line with me at Walmart think about my feet. 

However, when I began to think about my class reunion coming up in June, I found myself thinking twice about this dilemma. It was then that I put up the Keens, and switched into sandals in hopes that I might be able to get a tan on my feet before the big night. 

My daughter had recommended a bronzing product that I could use on my feet, but I was somewhat hesitant to try it because I wasn’t sure if it was going to match my own coloring. Now after a couple of months I’ll have to say it didn’t quite look so stark, but my legs were still much darker. 

At this point it was either attend or not attend, and there was no way I wasn’t going. I’ve been to every class reunion my class has ever had, and we’ve actually had quite a few, and there was no way I was going to miss it. I figured I’d have to risk the faux pas of white feet.

Now of course, on so many levels this really does sound kind of ridiculous, but in all honesty it really did cross my mind often as I anticipated the big event. I spent time worrying about what others might be thinking about the demarcation line between foot and ankle. 

After I returned home from the reunion I couldn’t help but chuckle at myself for obsessing over this relatively minor flaw. Now I may be wrong, but I doubt very seriously if anyone even noticed, and if they did they were kind enough to keep their ridicule to themselves. 

All I remember is a bunch of sixty something classmates having a really great time catching up. There were smiles, and hugs, and laughter, and lots of reminiscing as there should of been. Sometimes we worry about really minor, silly things, and let that get in the way of enjoying life. 

Our fiftieth reunion will be in five years, and believe you me my white feet are still going!










No comments:

Post a Comment