Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Trend Drop-out


Trend drop-out. 

When Chuck and I moved into our new home it was with the understanding that we would  probably be here for about five years. 

After leaving an almost twenty year old house I was exhausted by the constant repairs, and the necessary updating needed to make it ready to sell. My thinking was with a five year old house we might be able to eek by with what is considered trendy five years from now. 

In addition, we would not be needing a new roof or air conditioning unit when the time came to put it on the market. Hopefully, our plans will work out as we transition to Chuck’s inevitable retirement. 

Recently, though, I read an article about the horrors of gallery walls. Now with full disclosure here, I don’t actually have any gallery walls in my home, but apparently they have gone out of style. Along with this are chevrons, the printed word as an art piece, obviously popcorn ceiling, but pray that you have no texture on your ceilings at all, and the obnoxious ceiling fan in your living room. 

It does appear that I might be able to get away with my white kitchen cabinets as long as there is not too much white on white. I’m already living on the edge with granite countertops as opposed to quartz, but mea culpa since I had no choice in choosing anything in this house. 

Dark, light, wood, tile, gray or tan the list goes on of the home decorating faux pas that we may be guilty of without even realizing it. Too much stuff in a minimalistic world, and you could be the talk of your neighborhood. 

As I look around my home I’m pleased with its aethestic. It seems to represent Chuck and I quite nicely. It is less cluttered than previous decor, and many of the accessories are actually pieces of art, including some of Chuck’s art work. 

The color palate, thanks to Havertys, is a relaxing cream, gray and blue. My walls on the other hand tend more toward tan or beige than gray. However, I like their warmth, and they seem to be just fine. I’m the one who never painted over my white walls in my last house, and waited for white to come back in fashion. I never crossed over to the darker European gem tone craze. 

I do remember, though, sometimes feeling a little insecure about the design of my home, and whether I measured up as a decorator. Today after reading the trend outcasts post, I think I’m going to worry just a little less, and keep on enjoying my home just as I like it today. 

After all, “Tomorrow is another day,” and I’ll take the risk of not being trendy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment