Friday, June 7, 2019

Strong


Strong. 

Three and a half years ago when my first grandson was born I was shocked at how exhausted I was whenever I babysit him. Just lifting him was a struggle since somehow my right forearm seemed to have lost all its strength. 

Of course, I didn’t let this stop me from lifting him, it just required more effort on my part. Fast foreword to today, and I have a second grandson. A grandson who loves to be held and carried around so much that he holds on tightly when you try to put him down. 

What I’ve noticed, though, is that today I’m in much better shape, and I can easily lift my over twenty pound grandson with no difficulty at all. Why just the other day I spent the morning literally chasing my oldest grandson around the park, and lifting my youngest up and down off the playground equipment, and was amazed at how much energy I had. 

What is the difference between then and today? Pretty much daily exercise Monday through Friday. I walk five mornings a week at the gym for thirty minutes. Along with walking, I also use the arm equipment three days a week. 

Each time I think I might want to skip the machines I think about how much I want to be able to lift my grandsons. It works like a charm. Sometimes it’s all about the motivation!



2 comments:

  1. I am exhausted, too, Shari! I'm in pretty good shape, but it sounds like you are still in much better shape than me! What hits me more is the mental exhaustion. Does that happen to you?

    ReplyDelete