Monday, June 17, 2019

Backyard Bluebirds


Backyard bluebirds. 

As I sit here on my back porch enjoying an unseasonably cool summer afternoon, I can’t help but smile at how much I have enjoyed hosting a bluebird family in my backyard. 

When we lived in Frisco the only blue birds we had were blue jays, who I think are some of the most beautifully marked birds. However, at our farm we had blue birds with their vibrant blue wings, and their rust colored breasts. 

We had noticed after we purchased the farm two existing bird houses along the backyard fence. I had no idea that they were put there specifically for bluebirds until that spring when a pair made their home in one. 

When we moved to Euless I noticed that we had blue birds in our area. Chuck suggested putting out some blue birdhouses in hopes of maybe attracting some that following spring. Sure enough we were fortunate enough to get a pair in one of our bird houses. 

We’ve wondered if maybe the two houses were placed too close together to allow to pairs to raise their family? We may need to move one to a different location for next year. Or perhaps the blue bird pair has put out the word that ours is a nice neighborhood in which to raise a family. You know, good schools and all. 

We have so enjoyed watching the mom and dad swoop down onto our fence, and enter in and out of the small round hole on the box. Recently though, we have been amused by the sound of babies chirping each time one of their parents return with dinner. 

The simple act of hanging up a blue bird house we purchased at Walmart has really enhanced the time we spend outside enjoying our back yard. I don’t know if we will be lucky enough to see the babies take flight, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment