Friday, March 1, 2019

The H Word


The H word. 

Hate is a word that you hear frequently these days. In fact, you hear it so much that after a while it almost loses its meaning. 

Often when I’m trying to better understand something I go back to the dictionary definition just to remind myself. 

Interestingly as I looked up the word hate I came across these two versions of the definition:

“ Feel intense or passionate dislike.”

Now I may say I hate liver, but in reality that pales in comparison to hating cruelty toward the weak. This definition to me seems quite relative depending on what you consider intense or passionate. In fact, the connotation of the word passionate is not always viewed in a negative light. 

“Intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear or anger; extreme dislike or disgust.”

Now this definition to me seems to better describe hate. Hate to me is a very extreme emotion. In fact, I would think that it would take a lot to get someone to the point of hate. Of course, there are some people who just seem to revel in hatefulness, which is very sad. 

However, today I’m not really talking about that kind of hate. What I’m discovering as I read comments made about political and religious differences is that when someone disagrees with another often times they are quick to throw out the word hate. 

Now this just doesn’t seem logical to me. If you and I have a difference of opinion it’s probably not because I hate you. Our personal beliefs are based on many different things, and true hate is probably not one of them. 

Growing up, prior to social media, the rule of thumb was not to discuss religion and politics. I wonder why that was? Perhaps, because these two areas of conversation can incite strong feelings, and decorum might just insist that respect for others feeling and beliefs may be more important than what you feel the need to say at the moment. 

To be honest it makes me sad to see how much vitriol there seems to be in the world today. I wish we felt more comfortable sharing our beliefs with each other without being so mean. We can learn more about each other, and perhaps find a way to bridge our differences if we reach out with respect. 

Now truthfully I’ve not always followed my own advice, but I’d rather be an ambassador of civil discourse whenever I can. 











No comments:

Post a Comment