Monday, March 11, 2019

The Number Two Pencil


The number two pencil. 

My three year old grandson is showing a real affinity and talent for drawing. His fine motor skills constantly amaze me as he colors within the lines, and holds a pencil like a grown-up. 

He can often be found at the kitchen table drawing and coloring all the while with his tongue sticking out in concentration. After seeing some of his drawings, Chuck asked me to pick up a set of number two pencils and a pencil sharpener to take to him the next time we visited. 

On my trip to Walmart as I perused the pencil aisle I remember hearing that the quintessential pencil to have was the famous Ticonderoga brand. I was able to locate the presharpened beauties, but only in a thirty pack. 

Now I thought thirty pencils might be a little bit of overkill, but I figured I could use some at my house. Recently, it seemed every time I went looking for a pencil all I could find was a dull, stubbed-nose version.  The thought of actually having some good pencils around the house made me smile. 

Since I was breaking up the set I decided to see if I could find a pencil holder for the pencils and the sharpener. I happened upon the perfect pencil holder for a little boy. It was black, and resembled a creature of some sort with two wiggly eyes. But best of all when you unzipped it the zipper itself resembled a row of teeth. 

As expected the budding artist was thrilled with both the pencils and the case. The sharpener actually came with an eraser attached to the top so that too was a hit. Creatively the little guy spent quite a bit of time making shapes out of the pencils themselves as he arranged them into triangles and squares. The teacher in me couldn’t help but assist with his favorite shape-the hexagon. 

A few weeks later he was visiting our house with his parents when he noticed a Ticonderoga pencil sitting on my nightstand. Immediately he picked it up, and announced to his Mom that, “Mimi has one of my pencils!” Now not to be remembered as a thief, I quickly reassured him that I had bought a big pack of pencils to share between the two of us. 


I must admit that kid sure keeps me laughing and I have to remember that very little gets past his watchful eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment