Monday, March 4, 2019

Sprinkle Donuts


Sprinkle donuts. 

Kids and adults view food completely differently. 

Adults may have acquired a taste for broccoli over the years, but kids know the truth. When given the chance choose the sprinkle donut. 

Yesterday Chuck made a quick run to the local donut shop to pick up breakfast for everyone. My oldest grandson put in his order for a chocolate sprinkle donut. No regrets, no shame. 

Now I reluctantly allowed myself a small, dry cake donut. Perhaps somewhere in my imagination I thought it might be a little healthier for me. This is out of habit after years of judging food as good or bad. 

When Chuck got home, and opened the box of donuts the little one did something remarkable. He literally jumped for joy into Chuck’s arms all the while squealing with delight. After all, his sprinkle donut had arrived. 

He then hugged his Papa, and thanked him for the donut. Of course, the whole thing was sweeter than a sprinkle donut ever hoped to be. 

A few minutes later when I sat down to eat my breakfast I noticed that my grandson had basically sucked the top off the donut. Not a sprinkle or a trace of chocolate was left behind. Basically a dry, plain donut, you know kind of like what I had ordered.

Time and time again I am amazed at the lessons this little one has to teach me. His pure joy in the moment made me realize that there is a place for sprinkle donuts in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment