Friday, March 15, 2019

Unfamiliar Ground


Unfamiliar ground. 

“The friend  of creative work is alertness and nothing focuses your attention like stepping onto unfamiliar ground.”
Brian Eno

I heard a phrase the other day, “The winter doldrums,” and I must admit I’ve been in the thick of them. Thank goodness for spring, and daylight, and warmer weather. My soul feels like it needs to come up for air. 

The paradox of being me is the struggle between the known and the familiar, and the need for novelty. I am drawn to routine and comfort, but over time find myself completely bored. This is why I changed grade levels so often over my teaching career. 

Lately, I’ve found myself feeling kind of blah longing for the “interesting” days of apartment living. As I reflected on what made life so interesting to me during that time period I realized everything was new. Not just the apartment itself, but the whole lifestyle including the area. 

Two years later I’ve got the “area” down pat, and have found myself falling into the familiarity of routine. This always seems to be the kiss of death for me, and my creativity. As I struggle for inspiration and ideas for my blog I find myself coming up dry. 

Recently I picked up a book at the library so contrary to my natural tendency that I was surprised it caught my attention. Messy The Power of Disorder to Transform our Lives by Tim Hartford intrigued me in a world of tidying up and minimalism. Shouldn’t it make more sense to live a less distracted life?

In fact, later this month I will be attending an author talk by my favorite author, Gretchen Rubin as she discusses her latest book, Outer Order, Inner Calm. Truthfully, I’ve adopted her mantra over the last ten years finding it calming. 

Except, as I have begun to read Messy I’m beginning to wonder if my incessant need for order may be interfering with my incessant need to be creative. 

 Brian Eno the subject of the first chapter, and his Oblique Strategy Cards is known for forcing disorder in an ordered world pushing the envelope of creativity. A study cited in the book found that scientist who “keep changing the subject...stay productive.”

For me the key to keeping life interesting is “unfamiliar ground.” In order to remain creative I must like a shark, “keep moving.” I’m excited that Daylight Savings time has returned, and I’m ready to chart some uncharted territory. How about you?

“Not all who wander are lost.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment