Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Out of the Box


Out of the box. 

One of the last areas of our house to get organized has been the garage. This primarily has been due to the fact that since we're selling the farm we have begun to cart home the "stuff" we want to keep. It has all found its way into our garage waiting to be assigned a home. 

This weekend we made a trip to Sam's to purchase some shelving. It's hard to organize when you have no place to put the "stuff." Chuck picked out a six-shelf unit that he thought would do the trick. We decided we could always come back to pick up another one if needed. 

A day later Chuck began assembling the shelf which resembled an old Erector Set from the sixties. Thank goodness he is mechanical because if left up to me it would have to remain in the box. He did ask, though, for my assistance as it did require more than one person to put it together. 

At one point he was ready to connect the upper shelves to the lower. It looked like it might be a little tricky to prevent it from toppling over mid-stream. It was then that I did a very unusual thing for me. As I looked at both pieces I began to wonder if they had to be connected? Would it work to have two separate shorter shelves instead?

You would still have the six shelves, but not the massive seven foot height of the intended structure. As Chuck stopped to consider my crazy idea, he realized in doing so one of the shelves would be perfect height for a workspace. The more he thought about the idea, the more he liked it. 

I was pretty shocked at myself because just a week ago I was admitting that thinking out of the box was not necessarily my strong suit, and here I was doing so. I was actually quite pleased with myself, and the garage ended up looking great. 



No comments:

Post a Comment