“If we’re not failing, we’re not trying hard enough.”
I don't fail very often. At first glance, that might sound like I'm bragging. Actually, I generally stick to the things I know I can do well.
As an approval seeker from a young age (thank you, firstborn girl), I basically steered away from things I might fail at. If something was too hard or took too long, I chose something else.
I wish I could say things have changed, but it's not that easy. Last year I purchased a crochet kit that was supposed to make a cute dinosaur. I was all excited and sat down to get started. I know the basics of crochet, but I had struggled to follow a pattern.
I wish I could say I have a cute dinosaur sitting on my bookshelf. After several attempts, I gave up. It was not fun. My frustration level was beyond what I'd call comfortable, and I didn't want to continue.
The secret is the not-trying-hard-enough part. In my heart of hearts, I know that there is a powerful lesson here. Except it's not one I really want to learn.
I do admire those people who are willing to fail, and I think that's the best way to be.
How comfortable are you with failure?

No comments:
Post a Comment