“If we’re not likely to win a starting role, we can stage our own performance.”
For years, gatekeepers controlled the arts. Publishers determined which books we read. Album companies determined the music we heard. Artists and actors had to break through using conventional methods.
That is until recently. I know of an artist who got his start sketching people on the NY subway and then posting them on social media. Authors are now self-publishing books. With the opportunity to start podcasts and YouTube channels, people no longer have to wait for someone else to determine them a star.
I started a blog in 2015. I curated a photo gallery on Instagram. I'm finishing my first novel and will self-publish it. Will any of these endeavors win me an award? Probably not, but I sure have enjoyed pursuing all three.
What is something you've been wanting to do and have been putting off?

No comments:
Post a Comment