Friday, September 20, 2019

The Power of Play


The power of play. 

Greg McKeown, author of Essentialism, describes play as, 
“Anything we do simply for the joy of doing rather than as a means to an end.”

At first glance play might seem like a nonessential, but we
are mistaken if we buy into this idea. 

McKeown reminds us that, “Play expands our minds in ways that allow us to explore, to germinate new ideas or see old ideas in a new light.” 

What once came so easily to us as children begins to fade away until as adults we no longer hold play as important.

Sadly, our education system today seems to deem play in the same light. Even our youngest children are allowed less and less playtime in their classrooms. 

What is known as an essential for cognitive development has somehow become nonessential.

Stuart Brown has researched play and its importance.
“Play leads to brain plasticity, adaptability and creativity.”

As we age it is critical to utilize the plasticity of our brains to help ward off cognitive decline. 

What could be a more fun than play to benefit our health?
Remember that first definition?

“Anything we do simply for the joy of doing rather than as a means to an end.”

What did you enjoy doing as a child?

Think back to the kind of play you engaged in. Was it board games, coloring, sports, outdoor activities?

See if you can replicate some of this in your adult life. A good friend of mine and her husband on a recent vacation stopped along the way to play miniature golf as often as they could. They had a marvelous time reliving their younger days. 

As a girl I loved to color, and I have taken it back up as an adult. Recently my grandson shared his Twistables with me, and I found that I liked them better than the colored pencils I had been using. I invested in the thirty piece set, and have enjoyed using them ever since. 

I had left some bubbles on the back porch after my grandsons had visited, and now enjoy blowing them while Cooper is out taking care of his business. I find it quite satisfying to watch them catch the light of the porch lamp in the evening. 

In deciding what to do don’t forget Gretchen Rubin’s advice, 
 “You can chose what you do, but not what you like to do.”

I’m not a huge board game fan so this probably wouldn’t be something I would chose to do. I do remember, though, loving to dance as a child, and this might be something for me to consider. It might be time to dust off that old Herb Albert album via Alexa and get dancing again. 

Look for opportunities to bring play back into your life no matter what your age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment