Thursday, September 12, 2019

A Trip Down Memory Lane


A trip down Memory Lane. 

Chuck and I took a little trip down Memory Lane this past Saturday. We visited our childhood homes in Oak Cliff. 

I had driven past my old house many times before, and unfortunately knew that it wasn’t in the best of shape, although the neighborhood itself had remained quite nice. 

This time, though, I did something a little different. I had just attended a service at the National Cemetery for my childhood friend’s parents the day before, and her house, unlike mine looked great. 

I asked Chuck to stop the car so I could get out and snap a picture. She no longer lives in Texas, and I wasn’t sure if she has ever returned to the old neighborhood.

I jumped out of the car, and took a few pictures, and then turned around to walk back to my car. 

As I made my way down the street heading away from her house and closer to mine I had the strangest sensation. This was a section of the road that I had walked countless times as a young teen. 

Except, it had been close to fifty years since my feet had actually touched that same spot. I’d driven by many times, but I had never stopped. 

For an instant I was transported back to my childhood. I found myself near tears as I climbed back into the car. 

I really couldn’t put into words exactly what I was feeling, and even now I struggle to do so. That very piece of road had been walked many times by me between her house and mine. It was almost like I was thirteen year old girl again, except now I knew everything that would happen in the next fifty years. 

As we rounded the corner I had Chuck stop the car one more time at the home of another neighborhood friend. Another memory came flooding back as I remembered the hours we had spent sitting on the stone wall in front of her house trying to figure out the world. 

That wall still remained, and it felt good to sit there again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment